joie de vivre-- a cheerful enjoyment of life & an exultation of spirit.

Friday, March 2, 2012

Bonjour, Mon Ami!


My dear friends, as you read this post, I will most likely be on an incredibly high-speed train, the French countryside just a distant blur through the window to my left and a fresh pain au chocolat on my lap. There's a very good chance my sister will be sitting beside me, both of us still chuckling over my mother's reaction of shock and disbelief at the moment she saw me first arrive in Paris as though I had been a part of their little French adventure from the start. My mother will undoubtedly be sitting across from us, with tears still welling in her eyes as she tries to process how for the past 2 months this rather large surprise has been planned and so eloquently executed beneath her very nose. And only a short hour and a half journey outside of Paris, a humble little chateau in Nove, France awaits us for a week of exploring. I can't wait.

As I write this post to you all, it is currently Wednesday night. A rather large, but even emptier suitcase lies at my feet while the last load of laundry is tumbling dry a few floors below. I haven't even begun to start packing or doing anything logistically sound as the excitement and anticipation brimming within me is almost too much to bear. This has been a project two months in the making and I can't tell you how many times I have dreamed about and pictured that one single moment when my mother sees me for the first time-- the truth finally coming out & the reality of the situation finally caving in. Surprises have come to be a bit of tradition for my family-- it's almost a running joke that it's not a real event or weekend unless one of us decides to fly in spontaneously-- but I think this little trip to Paris might just take the cake. (Pun somewhat intended seeing as we'll be celebrating momma's birthday!)

Here's to those little moments within big, fun adventures that make life truly worth living.

Wishing you all a wonderful week ahead-- I'll be back with lots of pictures and updates when I return.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment