joie de vivre-- a cheerful enjoyment of life & an exultation of spirit.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Weekend Recap (Part II).

There are so many thing that I have come to love about this city, but I would be remiss if I didn't give a particular nod of acknowledgement to all of the incredible markets that we have access to on a year-round basis. From the dozens of farmer's markets to the little street corner stalls collected in abandoned lots to the food festivals and the fleas-- there truly is no end to the spaces and places to explore. It's fantastic. And, lucky for me, one of the city's most famed markets-- the Brooklyn Flea-- happens to take up its winter residence just a few blocks from my apartment. Convenient, huh?

Housed in the old Williamsburg Savings Bank (an absolutely stunning building with merit enough to warrant a visit), The Brooklyn Flea is comprised of 3 packed floors of stalls, vendors, and wares. Stepping foot into this market is a little like opening the Pandora's Box of treasure trunks-- I can't even begin to tell you some of the gems that are buried within the racks and under the piles. Here are a few snapshots from my visit last Sunday:

 
 

As a bit of a side note--for those of you for whom shopping tends to bring on a pang of hunger, you'll also find a food court of sorts down in the lower level vault where you can camp out at picnic tables covered in red-checkered cloths and enjoy the delicacies of a never-ending rotation of famed local food vendors. (Did I mention that I happened to catch a glimpse of a few cases of glistening Donut Plant treats beside a table full of fresh Red Hook Lobster Pound lobster rolls this past Sunday? Yes. I'll be going back on an empty stomach next time.)

In any case, next time you find yourself with a free weekend afternoon, swing on by the Flea and take a few hours to explore. I promise you won't be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. Ya.....definitely was there last week. Didn't realize you were so close...

    ReplyDelete