joie de vivre-- a cheerful enjoyment of life & an exultation of spirit.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Bookstore Buys.

Friends, I am a sucker for a good book. And by a good book, I mean one of those really, really good books. The kind that completely consumes you and keeps you hanging on by the tips of your fingernails as it drags you into the wee hours of the morning, prying your eyelids open because it can't possibly let you fall asleep until you know how it  all comes to an end. Oh, that feeling of getting lost between the pages and forgetting the real world exists for a while. It's just the best. Don't you agree?

Well, it's books like that the get me in trouble when I happen to find my way into bookstores. There's something about that never-ending quest for a new discovery that keeps me roaming and weaving through rows and shelves for hours. It thrills me to no end & it never gets old. Not surprisingly, that's precisely what happened Sunday afternoon when I somehow found myself in front of McNally Jackson down on Prince St. in SoHo. I'll be honest here, it was game over from the start.

Well, two and a half hours later and $80 poorer, I emerged from deep within the bowels of a bookworm's dream with the following in hand--


In Search of Lost Time, Volume One: Swann's Way, by Marcel Proust
Independent People, by Halldor Laxness 
The Ecstasy of Influence, by Jonathan Lethem
(Plus another little book & a card for momma d. whose birthday happens to be on the near horizon!)

I'm hoping if you happen to have read any/all of the above you're currently feverishly nodding with approval over there. Yes? Good. I thought so.  Whittling the initial stack of about 9 down to only these 3 was not the easiest process, so I'm hoping my decisions were sound.

Any other books caught your attention as of late? Classic favorites that you always turn back to? Share below!

No comments:

Post a Comment