joie de vivre-- a cheerful enjoyment of life & an exultation of spirit.

Monday, October 24, 2011

A Journey Begins.

If there are two things that these past few months have taught me, it's this:

1. A work/life balance is absolutely essential.
2. I am horrendous at maintaing any hint of such balance, whatsoever.

Now let me preface this all by saying that there is not a single thing that I would change about where I am in my life-- I absolutely love my work & the organization that I work for, I have been granted the ability to learn & grow faster than I could have ever expected, and (most importantly) I am able to come home every day feeling more and more passionate about the work and mission that I am striving to achieve. That's some pretty powerful stuff. But the working world has taken some serious adjusting to. And, quite frankly, it's an adjustment I've had a hard time settling into.

I've always loved the unpredictable nature of my job in that my roles and responsibilities can change at the drop of a hat, and I've even managed to find the perks within all of the travel that I've had to do--oh if only you could see the number of frequent flyer miles & hoards of hotel lotions I've collected-- but the hardest thing for me has been finding a way to squeeze in time for me to just be. To reflect. To take some time to do something solely for my own personal benefit.

These past few months, I've been pretty horrible about making "me" a priority. But enough is enough. I woke up this morning and realized that the only way that this was all going to change was if I made the conscious effort to take a proactive step in another direction.

I knew that in order to really make this change that I desperately need in my life, I had to set my sights high. I had to do something extreme that would allow me to prove to myself that I still had the drive I needed to work just as hard for my own personal benefit as I do for others. I needed to set a goal that was really going to push me and force me to commit whole-heartedly. I wanted something that I could be equally inspired as I was challenged by and something that I knew I was going to feel incredibly accomplished for achieving. And then I stumbled upon it.

13.1 New York. A half marathon on March 24th, 2012. 5 months, exactly, from today. Oddly perfect, no?

And before I could convince myself otherwise, before I could let a sliver of doubt creep into my mind, I pulled out the credit card and signed the registration form. And let me tell you-- I've never been so excited in my life.

And so it is. I've got 5 months.

Coming from someone who has never run more than 2 miles at any given time in her entire life,  I know this journey is going to be a hard one, but I also know that I've never owed myself more of a reason to try my damnedest ever before. It's been a long time since I've committed to something this big solely to prove to myself that I can & I'm ready to give it everything I've got.

Here goes nothing!





No comments:

Post a Comment